- Covid-19: We are currently busier than usual and official guidance is affecting our ability to assist
- Adoptions may be possible however we are extremely time short and are restricted by our vet being able to offer neutering appointments
- A waiting list is operating for intakes – our ability to help depends on our available space and how easily we expect to integrate your ferrets
- Boarding for your ferrets is available as normal
- Event bookings are being taken but understandably cannot be confirmed yet
Purbeck Ferret Rescue rescues, rehabilitates and rehomes stray and unwanted ferrets. The rescue is run from our own home on the outskirts of Weymouth in Dorset, England. This means that we do not have a centre with lots of help. It is mainly one person managing the rescue with a second person providing some extra help. We have an average of 50 – 60 ferrets looking for new homes at any given time as well as a small group of permanent residents. We receive no external funding to run the rescue and so rely on donations to exist.
Ferrets come to us from all different situations; stray, neglected or handed in when care can no longer be provided. If you are contacting us to ask us to take in a ferret then please see our rescue intake page. For lost and found ferrets we have a dedicated page. All ferrets on intake are quarantined for a minimum of seven days where they are monitored and assessed. They then join one of our groups in preparation for rehoming. All ferrets are neutered and microchipped before becoming available for adoption. We undertake home checks on all potential owners. For unadoptables we offer a permanent home.
Throughout the year you may see us at events, both public and private. These allow us to raise much needed vital funds for the rescue as we receive no funding. We provide ferret racing and sell a selection of ferret items and gifts. Events also provide an opportunity for people to volunteer their time to help the rescue. We promote ferret welfare, educate the public about the wonderful pets ferrets make and provide advice on caring for ferrets.
Additionally we offer ferret boarding to those looking for holiday accommodation for their ferrets, whether a short break or for several weeks.
For those looking for ferreting for vermin control, we do not work our ferrets. However please use our contact form, giving details on the nature of the problem (such as rabbits) and we will try to put you in contact with someone who can help.